Due to an uptick in incidents involving wildlife in or around Village refuse containers, our Public Works department has some tips for you to deter animals from your waste receptacle(s):
- Wash out food waste containers periodically.
- Spray an ammonia, vinegar, citrus, or peppermint oil solution on the can lid periodically, especially following a rainfall. Please note: bleach only disinfects bins but will not remove odors.
- Use heavy-duty trash bags or double-bag odorous garbage.
- Construct an enclosure for your bin or store your bin on non-collection days.
- Repair holes and/or replace damaged bins. A damaged bin makes it easier for animals to return and access the container.
- Securely fasten receptacle lids to restrict access (use plastic-end bungee cords, clips, or other fasteners). Use caution when handling bungee cords.
- Try alternative routes for food scraps, including composting food waste or freezing food scraps until collection day.