If work is performed on your individual lead water service, it could increase the amount of lead in your water service. During repair activities or partial replacement of the lead service line, the corrosion control coating is potentially disrupted at the site of the repair and/or some lead may be released into the water during repairs.
- Homeowners should flush internal plumbing to reduce the amount of lead-containing particles and sediment entering the home immediately following work on lead service lines.
- Do not consume tap water, open hot water faucets, or use an icemaker until after flushing is complete.
- Boiling water does not remove lead.
- Remove any sediment in faucet aerators.
- Running cold water from the faucets you use for drinking can improve water quality by drawing fresh water in the home, particularly after long periods of time when water has not been used.
- You may also consider installation of a home treatment device.