The Village of Winnetka is a full-service community-offering residents outstanding police, fire, public works, and administrative services. With a little over 12,000 residents and just 17 miles from the city of Chicago, Winnetka is uniquely nestled along the North Shore and Lake Michigan. Winnetka has long had a reputation for attractive residential neighborhoods, citizen involvement, local shops and educational excellence.
Winnetka operates under a Council-Manager form of government, where the Village Council appoint a Village Manager to carry out day-to-day operations. The Manager oversees the six operating departments:
- Community Development
- Public Works
- Water and Electric
New and long-term residents alike should utilize the Village’s FAQ section, organized by department, to find out answers to common questions. A full list of the Village’s Documents and Forms will be helpful for those requesting a special service or seeking a permit.
Notices listing the dates and times of all Village meetings can be found on the Village’s website as well as on the bulletin board at Village Hall. The annual meeting notice also provides a listing of the regular meeting schedule for the Village Council and all lower boards/commissions for the full year.
The Winnetka Village Council holds its regular meetings on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, and a study session on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. All regular and study session meetings are held at Village Hall (510 Green Bay Road) beginning at 7 pm.
New residents can easily stay informed about Village news and events and can visit the Communications page to learn more about these opportunities:
- Email newsletter to residents
- The Village’s Facebook and Instagram accounts
- The Winnetka Report
- Smart911/Winnetka Alerts
Residents can also stay informed via local media:
- Construction Activity
- Prohibited on:
- Sundays and holidays
- Saturdays: before 9 AM and after 6 PM.
- Monday through Friday: before 7 AM and after 7 PM.
- Prohibited on:
- Rapid response phone network for emergency notifications
- Register landlines and cell phone numbers through Smart911 website
- Special Fire Department Programs:
- Home safety surveys
- Educational tours of the Fire Station
- Blood pressure screenings
- Acceptance and disposal of unused/expired medication and "sharps"
- Special Police Department Programs:
- Home security surveys
- Engraving tool for items of value
- Bicycle registration
- House Watch List
- Police Station tours
- Voter Registration
- Register after living in Winnetka for 30 days
Important Regulations & Permits
- Garage sales
- Permits are not required, but the Winnetka Sign Ordinance prohibits the display of garage sale signs on premises other than those on which the sale is conducted
- Permitted one temporary sign, which cannot exceed 10 square feet in size
- On street parking is prohibited in the Village between 2 am and 6 am.
- Parking permits are required for Village lots as well as for parking at the three Metra stations
- Pet regulations/licensing
- A dog license must be displayed on each Winnetka dog over six months of age on a calendar year basis
- Dogs are required by Ordinance to be on a leash at all times, unless they are confined on the property of their owner
- Required construction permits
- It may be necessary to obtain building and other permits for additions, interior remodeling, demolition, new decks or replacement driveways, patios, swimming pools, fences, air conditioners, etc.
- Vehicle stickers
- Village license windshield stickers cost $40 per vehicle and must be renewed on a calendar year basis. A transfer to replace an assigned sticker during the year can be purchased for $1
Refuse/Yard waste Pickup
- Recycling programs
- Refuse collection schedule
- Yard waste bags and/or tags required ($2.20 each)
- Special collection programs
- Cable Television:
- AT&T Phone: 855-634-9517
- Comcast Phone: 866-594-1234
- Natural Gas:
- North Shore Phone: 866-556-6004
- Northern Illinois (Indian Hill only) Phone: 847-490-8900
- Sanitary Sewer, Village of Winnetka:
- Phone: 847-716-3530
- Water and Electric service, Village of Winnetka:
- Request service Phone: 847-446-9550
- Billing Phone: 847-446-9550
- Report Emergency Phone: 847-501-2531