As part of the regular collection of residential refuse, the Village offers two services. To ensure efficient collection of refuse, please follow the guidelines below:
Back door service:
- Refuse should be set out by 7 AM.
- On collection days, garbage cans are to be located in an accessible place outside of garages or other secured enclosures. Refuse cans may be required to be removed from behind fences or parked cars that block driveways.
- Regular back door collections are limited to no more than two 37-gallon cans, once per week. An optional twice-per-week subscription pickup may be scheduled for an additional fee of $50.00 per a month.
- All receptacles shall not weigh more than 20 pounds empty, and not more than 60 pounds when full.
- Each additional 37-gallon bag must have a Village refuse sticker affixed in order to be collected; refuse stickers may be purchased at Grand Foods, Lakeside Foods or Village Hall for $2.50 each.
- Your refuse container should be set out by 7 AM at the curb or in your alley on your collection day.
- Additional 37-gallon bags may be placed out on the curb or parkway and must have a Village refuse sticker affixed in order to be collected; refuse stickers may be purchased at Grand Foods, Lakeside Foods or Village Hall for $2.50 each.
- Regular curbside collections are limited to once per week collections.
Residential refuse collections are limited to regular household waste that consists of items such as: Left-over food and food waste, food packaging, clothing, toys, household items, non-hazardous medical waste, and other items considered to be "solid waste". Excess residential refuse must be appropriately stickered and must follow the refuse guidelines to ensure collection. Items that are not appropriately stickered may not be serviced.
Residents who do not place their refuse bin on the curb or have their refuse accessible by 7 AM may not be serviced. Resident's requesting same week collection, or an additional pick-up, will be billed a $35 fee per incidence.
Bulk-Items, Appliances, and other large items cannot be accepted as part of the regular refuse collection services and require a special collection.
Special Pick-Up Services
For large objects or quantities not practical for regular refuse pickup, a special pickup may be requested. Special pickups are billed by volume and must consist of general household items that are small and light enough to be handled by two persons without danger of injury. Major appliances and large heavy furnishings may also be collected, but a special handling charge will be assessed to cover costs and disposal. Materials scheduled for a special collection must be placed in the parkway near the curb only. Once resident's have a confirmed special, items may be placed out on the curb or parkway.
A modified special collection service includes dropping off a 2 yard dumpster and collecting the dumpster the following business day may also be requested. The cost for this service is $74.75.
Special pickup costs are $35 for the first cubic yard of material and $13 for each additional cubic yard. To schedule your special collection, please call Kali Spain, Customer Service Representative, at (847) 716-3531. All special collections are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. For move outs, please call at least one week in advance to ensure collection.
The following items are not collected as part of a special collection and require other specialized services for removal and/or disposal: Liquids and Household Chemicals, Paint, Yard/Brush/Landscape Waste, Dirt and Soil, Concrete and Asphalt and Bricks, Electronics/Appliances with motors.
Yard Waste Collection
The Village provides curbside collection of yard waste from April to the end of November; however, additional collection procedures and charges apply to this type of refuse. Read more.