As part of the regular collection of residential refuse, the Village offers two services. To ensure efficient collection of refuse, please follow the guidelines below:
Back door service:
- Refuse should be set out by 7 AM.
- On collection days, garbage cans are to be located in an accessible place outside of garages or other secured enclosures. Refuse cans may be required to be removed from behind fences or parked cars that block driveways.
- Regular back door collections are limited to no more than two 37-gallon cans, once per week. An optional twice-per-week subscription pickup may be scheduled for an additional fee of $50.00 per a month.
- All receptacles shall not weigh more than 20 pounds empty, and not more than 60 pounds when full.
- Each additional 37-gallon bag must have a Village refuse sticker affixed in order to be collected; refuse stickers may be purchased at Grand Foods, Lakeside Foods or Village Hall for $2.50 each.
- Your refuse container should be set out by 7 AM at the curb or in your alley on your collection day.
- Additional 37-gallon bags may be placed out on the curb or parkway and must have a Village refuse sticker affixed in order to be collected; refuse stickers may be purchased at Grand Foods, Lakeside Foods or Village Hall for $2.50 each.
- Regular curbside collections are limited to once per week collections.
Residential refuse collections are limited to regular household waste that consists of items such as: Left-over food and food waste, food packaging, clothing, toys, household items, non-hazardous medical waste, and other items considered to be "solid waste". Excess residential refuse must be appropriately stickered and must follow the refuse guidelines to ensure collection. Items that are not appropriately stickered may not be serviced.
Residents who do not place their refuse bin on the curb or have their refuse accessible by 7 AM may not be serviced. Resident's requesting same week collection, or an additional pick-up, will be billed a $35 fee per incidence.
Bulk-Items, Appliances, and other large items cannot be accepted as part of the regular refuse collection services and require a special collection.
Special Pick-Up Services
For large objects or quantities not practical for regular refuse pickup, a special pickup may be requested. Special pickups are billed by volume and must consist of general household items that are small and light enough to be handled by two persons without danger of injury. Major appliances and large heavy furnishings may also be collected, but a special handling charge will be assessed to cover costs and disposal. Materials scheduled for a special collection must be placed in the parkway near the curb only. Once resident's have a confirmed special, items may be placed out on the curb or parkway.
A modified special collection service includes dropping off a 2 yard dumpster and collecting the dumpster the following business day may also be requested. The cost for this service is $65.15.
Special pickup costs are $35 for the first cubic yard of material and $13 for each additional cubic yard. To schedule your special collection, please call Kali Spain, Customer Service Representative, at (847) 716-3531. Please call at least one week in advance to ensure collection.
The following items are not collected as part of a special collection and require other specialized services for removal and/or disposal: Liquids and Household Chemicals, Paint, Yard/Brush/Landscape Waste, Dirt and Soil, Concrete and Asphalt and Bricks, Electronics/Appliances with motors.
Yard Waste Collection
Illinois law prohibits disposing of yard waste (lawn clippings, brush, branches, etc.) with regular household refuse. The Village provides curbside collection of yard waste throughout the year; however, additional collection procedures and charges apply to this type of refuse.
Yard Waste Bags & Stickers
Residents are required to purchase yard waste bags from local home improvement stores and affix a Village yard waste sticker on the bag. Stickers can be purchased at Village Hall, Grand Foods, and Lakeside Foods for $2.50 each. Bags will be picked up curbside on your designated yard waste pick-up day. Other yard waste, such as brush and branches, must be bundled with rope (not wire) and each bundle must have a sticker affixed.
Yard waste must be set out curbside by 7 AM on your regular refuse collection day. From April through November, yard waste is collected twice per week: on both Monday and Thursday from residents who have either Monday or Thursday garbage collection and on both Tuesday and Friday from residents who have either Tuesday or Friday garbage collection.
For large branches and brush collection, or for pick-ups outside the scope of our guidelines, please contact the Village Forester at 847-716-3289 for a list of tree service and landscaping companies who are authorized to perform work within the Village or drop off at the following locations:
1269 E Golf Rd
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Mr. K Garden and Material Center
1440 Higgins Rd
Park Ridge, IL 60068