Things To Do
The Winnetka Park District (WPD) operates and maintains a total of 27 parks-encompassing over 242 acres. The Park District primarily serves the Village of Winnetka, but also includes portions of the Village of Glencoe and Village of Northfield.
Within Winnetka, there is also forest preserve land operated by the Forest Preserve District of Cook County (FPDCC). The District maintains over 68,000 acres of land in Cook County, 80% of which is estimated to remain in a wild or semi-wild, natural state. Forest preserve areas are open sunrise to sunset 365 days a year.
The FPDCC’s district-wide map displays the many natural areas and activities available at its numerous facilities. Winnetka is located in FPDCC’s Region 4 or "North Cook County." Located within Winnetka are the Skokie Lagoons-a Forest Preserve site that offers picnicking, trail hiking/riding, horseback riding, fishing, and birdwatching opportunities.
At virtually any time of the year, local activities and events abound for residents and visitors alike. Below is a small sampling of the events that are part of the unique Winnetka tradition:
- Memorial Day Parade: a Winnetka Park District event with appearances from the U.S Coast Guard, military units, veterans, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and more.
- Winnetka Farmers' Market: the farmer’s market is held every Saturday in Elm Street Metra parking lot on Green Bay Road beginning in June and ending in October. The market is hosted by the Winnetka-Northfield-Glencoe Chamber of Commerce.
- Winnetka Children’s Fair: a 65-year tradition of community and family fun, fellowship, and participation. The Fair is coordinated by the Board of Directors of the Winnetka Community Nursery School and is attended by people throughout the North Shore annually at the Winnetka Village Green.
- Winnetka Music Fest: a two-day festival in June that blends great new music in a walkable business district that is home to a variety of shops and parks.
- Art in the Village: The North Shore Art League hosts this juried fine arts fair annually in Hubbard Woods Park
- Firecracker 5K: a Winnetka Park District 5K race for runners of all age.
- 4th of July Parade: held at Duke Childs Field
- 4th of July Fireworks: Winnetka Park District celebrates America’s Independence.
- Sidewalk Sale: the North Shore’s premier Sidewalk Sale, held by the Winnetka-Northfield-Glencoe Chamber of Commerce. Local retailers display a wide range of goods-from fashion and jewelry to sporting goods and books-at discounted prices.
- Art Attack: North Shore Art League faculty and students exhibit their work in local shops and restaurants as part of this annual art walk event in the Hubbard Woods Business District.
- Police and Fire Open House: Local visitors are able to see all fire apparatus and rescue equipment, and may participate in live demonstrations. The Police also offer tours of the Communications Center, Lockup, Firearms Range, and Fitness Center.
- Veteran’s Day Observance: a special remembrance ceremony, with guest speakers and refreshments, honors the nation’s veterans
- Winnetka Tree Lighting: the annual lighting of the tree, followed by caroling and hot cocoa in Dwyer Park.
- Red Invitation Sale: the Winnetka-Northfield-Glencoe Chamber’s annual holiday sale, which follows the tree lighting.