Where should I report electric service problems?

Calls regarding electric service problems should be made to 847-501-2531. This number is answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, by employees who are familiar with the operation of the Village electric utility. In case of severe weather, your call may not be answered immediately. Please keep trying. Your call is important to the Winnetka Water and Electric Department.

When calling to report a problem with electric service, residents should be prepared to describe what is occurring:

  • Is there power?
  • Do some lights work but not others?
  • Are lights flickering?
  • Is a wire down?
  • Has a tree or tree limb fallen?
  • Was a loud sound, like that made by a shotgun, heard?

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for water and/or electric service?
2. Where should I report electric service problems?
3. Who can answer a question about my bill?
4. How do I discontinue my water and electric service?
5. Who do I call to report a problem with a street light being out or turning on and off?
6. Who do I call to report a problem with a traffic signal?
7. What are the Village's lawn sprinkling restrictions?
8. Can electric or water meters be removed by a homeowner?
9. What are the Village's water conservation methods?
10. What is the source of the Village's water supply?
11. How does the Village report its water quality?
12. What do I do about solicitations to switch energy providers?